What's your new role about?
Legal Counsel, Commercial Premises is a new role within the DAZN Legal Team, based in London or Munich with a focus on supporting the rapidly growing Commercial Premises Division (DAZN For Business) of this dynamic and exciting global sports media business.
This is a unique opportunity for a mid-level Media or Commercial Lawyer to be involved in the launch and scale up of our new DAZN commercial premises business - DAZN for Business (D4B).
This Legal Counsel, Commercial Premises position is a new role within the DAZN Legal Team. You will join a lean and fast moving legal team providing legal support across a broad range of matters affecting all parts of the D4B channels and services (D4B Services) in Europe, with an initial focus on DACH and Italy.
After launching the DAZN sports streaming service globally, the business set up D4B Division to bring the same dynamic service to commercial customers as it does to its residential customers and the ambitious growth plans of this division require the support of a dedicated lawyer.
As this new business division grows in scale and ambition, it offers you a great opportunity to get involved in projects across the globe, be an integral part of the team and develop the role, making it your own!
Benefits include access to DAZN, 30 days’ annual leave, annual performance-related bonus, pension contributions up to 3%, family-friendly community, free access for you and one other to our workplace mental health platform app (Unmind), learning and development resources, opportunities for flexible working, and access to our internal speaker series and events.
HERE’S A BREAKDOWN OF WHAT YOU’LL DO (NOT ALL OF IT, JUST THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF)
- Provide support for all aspects of the D4B Services in Europe, which includes supporting the business development, rights, commercial, marketing, product and operations teams (with assistance from outside counsel, where necessary).
- Draft and negotiate commercial terms and conditions / agreements with customers, agencies and distributors of the D4B Services.
- Ensure that DAZN sets the highest possible standard in combating fraudulent use of its D4B Services by overseeing activities of external enforcement and monitoring agencies engaged to protect the D4B Services.
- Supervising external lawyers with respect to infringement proceedings in court and taking a leading role in protecting DAZN’s chain of title in respect D4B rights.
- Devise, implement and oversee legal processes to ensure proper copyright enforcement and monitoring infringement in respect of the D4B Services.
- Provide advice and risk assessments on legal & regulatory matters applicable to the D4B Services in various territories.
- Be willing to take responsibility for items which are outside of the normal scope of your remit from time to time.
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- Fluent in English and German
- Around 5-7 years’ work experience after professional training (either PQE or passing 2nd state examination), having trained at and subsequently worked in a highly successful and recognised private practice, or a strong in-house team in the media sector
- Experience of copyright licensing and enforcement
- Excellent technical legal skills, especially first-class drafting and interpretative abilities
- Experience of working on matters with a moderate to high degree of autonomy
- An ability to juggle a large workload and rapidly shifting priorities
- A well-rounded personality with the capacity to work effectively with others from a wide range of professional and non-professional disciplines.
- A willingness to operate out of your comfort zone and the motivation to play a proactive role in developing DAZN’s legal function.
NOT ESSENTIAL BUT GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Dual English / German qualified
- Experience working in an international company (with any exposure to the Italian market being an advantage).
- Experience of working in fraud and/or anti-piracy.
- Ability to conduct research and draft reports related to German law.
- Experience working for a rapid growth, scale up business.
- A detailed understanding of business to business / consumer operations
- Department: Commercial, Distribution & Regulatory Legal Team
- Reports To: Principal Counsel (VP) - Commercial, Distribution & Regulatory
- Country and Location: Munich, Germany but we also consider this role to be based in our London office
- Hours of Work: 40
- Line Management Responsibility: No
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
At part of our team you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
If you're ambitious, inventive, passionate, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to enjoy life at DAZN.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity and where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations and gender identities. If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
We look forward to hearing from you.