What's your new role about?
Here at DAZN we are changing the game. We are revolutionizing the way fans are consuming their sports content, bringing them ever closer to the action.
As a Principal Engineer (Backend), you will be a crucial pin shaping the development and delivery of various projects and features across DAZN. You will be there to put out fires, support and push teams to their maximum potential – defining engineering excellence.
What we are looking for is someone who has had experience in developing and delivering highly scalable and highly available applications, in addition to being a master in distributed systems. You would have good exposure to DevOps, Cloud, Backend and Architectural aspects of software engineering. In this role you will be a leader without being a manager and will remain very hands on in engineering and operations.
You would be reporting directly to the Head of Development and will play a pivotal role in our senior leadership ranks. Do you have what it takes to change the game?
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN YOUR NEW ROLE? (NOT ALL OF IT, JUST THE IMPORTANT STUFF!)
- Lead by example by being hands-on and working with our teams to deliver high quality, architecturally sounds systems; earning their respect as a technical leader.
- Partner with Architecture, Software Engineering and Site Reliability/Platform teams to guide projects from systems design through to live support.
- Ensure we stay ahead of a fast-paced industry; identifying new languages, tools, frameworks, concepts and producing prototypes of how they will benefit DAZN.
- Coach and mentor Software Engineers; fostering an environment of high performance and continual learning across our engineering teams.
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- Extensive experience leading the technical direction of high performing software engineering teams preferably in roles such as a either a Tech Lead or Principal Engineer.
- In-depth knowledge of SDLC in a lean and agile development environment.
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms that leads to high-performant and maintainable code.
- Polyglot across several programming languages and paradigms, especially Object Oriented Programming and Functional Programming.
- Experience in designing, implementing and maintaining distributed systems at scale in a cloud-based environment with hard requirements of low-latency, highly-availability and scalability.
- DevOps advocate with expertise in building CI/CD pipelines, automated and continuous testing, proactive monitoring, everything-as-code, etc.
- Sound understanding of SOA, REST, Microservices and n-tier architectural styles and design (anti)patterns.
- Strong knowledge of Web protocols, node.js, distributed queues systems, SQL and no-SQL databases, cache layers, AWS or GCP, Kubernetes or Docker Swarm, Terraform or AWS CloudFormation and Linux.
- Expert in maintaining live services at scale by measuring and monitoring system health.
- Strong business judgement with proven ability to influence stakeholder and strong analytical thinking.
DO YOU HAVE THESE DESIRABLES?
- Industry recognition as a regular attendee, blogger and speaker at meetups and high-profile technology conferences.
- Regular and active participant in the open source community - be a tech evangelist
- Experience of streaming or broadcast media and OTT product development.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL YOU WILL NEED
- Learn and Grow; On-going drive for learning and ability to apply new knowledge and skills.
- Drive & Energy; Self–motivated and driven to succeed, focused on results and passionate about the job.
- Creativity & Innovation; Ability to generate and translate an idea into a product or service that creates value for business.
- Teamwork & Collaboration; Working collaboratively with a group of people in order to accomplish a task or achieve a goal.
Here's a little more about us…
DAZN is a tech-first sport streaming platform that reaches millions of users every week. We are challenging a traditional industry and giving power back to the fans.
This is the perfect place to work for passionate and creative engineers. We use a very modern tech stack to stream sports content to millions of concurrent viewers globally across multiple platforms and devices. The architecture of DAZN is based on Micro Frontends and unifies a range of technologies in order to deliver a seamless user experience.
This is an ambitious project with a fast release cycle that has scalability not only from a user point of view but also from a developer perspective. Imagine a tech start up culture but with the security and backing from a well established content and media agency.
Our engineers work in small teams and are given freedom and autonomy when it comes to the code that they write. If you like solving technical problems then this is the place to be. We have a community that is here to help. Want to join the revolution? Learn more about us here: https://engineering.dazn.com/