What's your new role about?
At DAZN, we have loads of data. We’re the world’s biggest sports OTT platform, and we have millions of sports fans in over 200 countries. Under the hood, we have a world-class Data & Decision Science team conducting cutting-edge research, building machine learning models and powering data-driven decisions throughout the company. You’ll collaborate across the business with stakeholders working in engineering, product, revenue and strategy, amongst others.
You will apply your advanced statistical and machine learning expertise as you lead projects to build AI solutions to solve business problems and create commercial opportunities. You will be positioned right at the forefront of data science, developing, applying and productionising state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms (supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning), machine learning explainability techniques (Shap) and advanced statistics (Bayesian modelling, Markov processes, time series modelling).
In DAZN we have a multitude of data teams tackling various challenges in the data world, allowing each team to focus on what they do best:
1. Data Engineering gets data into our lake or models modelled datasets
2. Reporting, BI and analytics create business modelled datasets and analyse the data to generate insights
3. Experimentation deals with A/B testing and how do we learn from our actions in the past and the future
4. Data Science, which you would be part of, work cross functionally to embed and automate data science driven decision making across DAZN. We do this through research, developing modern data science and statistical models, and building them into full data products.
5. Applied machine learning work closely with our Product and Technology teams to deploy machine learning products and systems at scale.
We are an international team of data scientists from a broad range of backgrounds. We deliver personalisation across our platform and customer communications, enable automated strategic decision making to be conducted at scale, and dive into the dynamics and relationships which drive customer demand.
You’ll have the opportunity to own and contribute to a support a breadth of data science projects, using cutting-edge tools and techniques to best use DAZN’s vast data sets. Get in touch if you want to perform industrial-scale data science and put data at the heart of everything we do!
This role can be based in London, Leeds, Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, Katowice, Milan or Madrid.
Benefits will depend on your location but will include access to DAZN, an annual performance related bonus, family friendly community, free access for you and one other to our workplace mental health platform app (Unmind), learning and development resources, opportunity for flexible working, and access to our internal speaker series and events.
As our new Senior Data Scientist you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Collaborate with a large team of data scientists as well as stakeholders throughout the business to answer questions like:
- Can we accurately forecast the impact strategic changes will have on the size and composition of future subscribers?
- Can we create an AI scheduler which tells us which matchups should be promoted in which parts of the world?
- What content should we recommend to our customers?
- How can we get customers to continue using the platform when their favourite team isn’t playing?
- How accurately can we predict how many viewers are going to watch a specific football match?
- Can we tease apart different types of sports fans?
- How do we identify customers that we think are likely to churn?
- How important is stream quality in the satisfaction of our users?
- Contribute to the entire data science life cycle — from exploratory data analysis, to applying advanced statistical and machine learning techniques, to building data products
- Lead your own projects within the Data Science team
- Engage with stakeholders on an ongoing basis and establish effective feedback/improvements loops for our data-based solutions
- Apply many aspects of data science: supervised, unsupervised, and reinforcement learning, advanced statistics model creation and deployment.
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- A strong scientific and intuitive understanding about statistics and data, and an enthusiastic approach to problem solving
- High level of proficiency in Python and/or R and SQL and a track record of using those effectively in professional projects
- Good grasp of software development principles and version control, and several examples of productionising data solutions
- Proven ability in stakeholder management and engagement. Being able to independently derive business questions, setting and managing expectations and designing and implementing solutions that advance the business (mostly in the form of data products)
Even better if you have:
- A passion for the world of sports
- Previous experience working in broadcast media
- Experience with a cloud computing provider
- Experience with distributed computing and wrangling very large datasets
- Good understanding of reinforcement learning algorithms and their applications in business settings
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
If you're ambitious, inventive, passionate, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to enjoy life at DAZN.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity and where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations and gender identities. If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
We look forward to hearing from you.