What's your new role about?
Data Analyst (Player Engineering), Experience: 5+ years
HYDERABAD, INDIA /
TECHNOLOGY – STREAMING TECHNOLOGY /
The Player Engineering domain is one of the most crucial parts of the DAZN stack. We build, own, and support the frontend playback experience across customers’ devices at DAZN. We strive to deliver the best possible video experience across all devices (web, set-top boxes, TVs, games consoles, mobiles) regardless of network conditions. We have built our own bespoke inhouse player and use it across 28 devices in 192 countries, as well as support native and third-party players. Player Engineering also build our own tooling and automation applications to test and evaluate these devices. "We have our own complex heuristics to ensure that we deliver the highest quality video streams to customers based on their network conditions.
The way we work:
We obsess over data and use it to measure how we are performing against our customers’ and the business’ expectations, as well as using it to build our backlog and to inform where we should focus our development efforts. We value agile delivery practices and are continually evolving and reviewing our processes. Delivery teams are typically made up of around 5-8 Engineers, a Team Lead, and a Product Manager. Our teams are from various and diverse backgrounds and we welcome and encourage new perspectives and opinions openly.
As our new Data Analyst within Player Engineering, you’ll have the opportunity to:
· Monitor, report, and define Playback KPIs (including Video Start Time, Connection Induced Rebuffering Ratio, HD rate, Fatal Error).
· Analyse large datasets to identify patterns, trends, and anomalies related to playback quality, buffering rates, and user engagement.
· Work closely with Software Engineers from Player Engineering and participate in the team's Agile ceremonies to be actively involved in improving the customers' playback experience.
· Create and maintain dashboards in observability tools like New Relic, Snowflake, Conviva, Tableau.
· Write queries in different query languages (SQL, NRQL).
· Define thresholds and alarming based off Playback KPIs for live incidents.
· Create presentations, reports, and visualisations to communicate Playback KPIs to Software Engineers, Managers, VPs, Execs, and other stakeholders.
· Use data to help triage live incidents.
· Create your own processes, facilitate data-driven meetings, and
· Develop automated scripts or tools for data extraction and transformation.
· Collaborate with the engineering team to identify areas of improvement for our in-house bespoke Player.
· Design controlled A/B testing experiments to evaluate the impact of playback optimizations.
· Turning insights into actions. This involves not only dissecting data but also presenting it in a clear, compelling manner.
It’s desirable, but not essential (we can teach you), if you have:
· An analytical mind that can identify patterns, trends, and anomalies.
· Experience with data warehouses; we use Snowflake.
· Experience writing SQL queries.
· Experience with observability tools; we use New Relic.
· Experience with writing NRQL and other query languages.
· Experience in an OTT company.
· A pro-active, independent mindset to create new processes, workflows, and meetings.
· Strong communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to effectively interact with cross-functional teams (particularly software engineers).
· Familiarity with software development life cycle, Agile, and tools (e.g. Git, JIRA).
Even better if you have:
· Experience with Conviva.
· Experience with TV, set-top boxes, and games consoles (given ~70% of DAZN customers watch on living room devices).
· Any experience with Airtable, Tableau.
· Experience in Playback.
· Experience with live streaming.
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So, if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team,you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
DAZN VALUES – THE ‘HOW’ IN WHAT WE DO:
AMBITIOUS – people who want to make a big impact and drive DAZN forward.
INVENTIVE – people with bright ideas who deliver great new experiences for our customers – and improvements for our business. People who come up with better, simpler ways of doing things.
PASSIONATE – people who are proud of our product, our content and our business – and love to shout about it. People who love what they do and show commitment every day.
BRAVE – people who take difficult decisions to help us focus on improving DAZN, our performance and our results.
SUPPORTIVE – people who know that we achieve more as a team than as individuals. People value inclusion and look out for each other, helping their colleagues enjoy their work and develop their careers. People who consider others before making decisions.
At DAZN, we are committed to fostering an inclusive environment that values equality and diversity, where everyone can contribute and have their voices heard. This means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations, gender identities and abilities.
Everyone has the opportunity to make change and impact our DEI journey by joining our ERGs: Proud@DAZN, Women@DAZN, Disability@DAZN and ParentZone.
If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
Our aim is to make our hiring processes as accessible for everyone as possible, including providing adjustments for interviews where we can.
We look forward to hearing from you.