What's your new role about?
Do you want to be part of a team which is at the core of engineering a global product that’s used by millions of users daily?
DAZN is one of the fastest growing video streaming companies in the world and stream over 40 different sports, from more than 300 different leagues, in over 200 countries. Since we launched in 2016, we have streamed more than 600 million hours of content!
DAZN Engineering is truly enterprise scale with hundreds of engineers working with some of the latest technologies and sharing ideas and best practices in a dynamic and collaborative environment.
, Deno, Terraform, AWS, GitHub
Location: Hammersmith, London, UK with flexibility to work from home
A bit about your team
The Player Engineering teams own the front-end video playback experience for DAZN. We are responsible for a key part of every customer's experience, helping them enjoy the sports they love.
The team ensures the best possible video experience regardless of network conditions (often using complex network behaviour models) and builds user interfaces for customers to interact with video content across web, smart TVs and set-top boxes.
We are driven by data and use it daily to make decisions about what we do.
Teams are typically made up of around 5-8 Engineers, a Product Manager, Scrum Master and an Engineering manager. Our team are a group from various and diverse backgrounds, we don’t have any hierarchy within the team as everyone brings something different and has different experiences and knowledge.
We work across 4 areas of work:
- Player Core: Building, supporting and continually optimising low-level adaptive bitrate (ABR) player features
- Player UI: Owning how our customers interact with our players, working with our design team
- Player Extensions: Building and supporting the features that are built on top of the player to help increase engagement and revenue
- Test & Release: Managing our end-to-end testing suite and owning our release process
Here's what you will do:
- Build and maintain the video playback experience across a variety of devices against key metrics, regularly delivering fully tested features
- Solve video playback related issues and add features to our video players whilst working collaboratively with other engineers - pairing when necessary and peer-reviewing each other's code
- Work closely with our product team to understand priorities and timelines, working in an Agile way
- Work closely with stakeholders outside the team to manage releases and make improvements to our process
- Supporting the software you build as part of our on-call process
You've got to have these essentials skills to do your job well…
- You have worked on live applications with a continuous feature development and release cycle
- You care deeply about testing and automation
- You have experience of working in a team that owns or works on a business-critical service, tool or product
- You have experience of working in an agile process where engineers are invested in continuous improvement, both of the process and the code base
- You are self-driven and able to direct your own learning. We cover a broad, but niche area of HTML5 video streaming technologies where there is a huge amount to learn
It would be great if you had these desirable skills/experience too...
- Experience working on or with web player technologies, building media players or media player UIs. We will teach you what you need to know, so please don’t be put off from applying if you haven’t worked in this area before
- Experience building HTML5 applications for smart TVs, games consoles or set top boxes
- Experience working with cross-browser compatibility issues
- Experience working with reactive programming and asynchronous data flow
Benefits & perks for you
- Annual bonus
- One day a week Learning Day to focus on learning and innovation of your choice
- Free Access to O'Reilly Learning Online
- Tickets to tech conferences throughout the year
- Bonus scheme (currently being rolled out)
- Employer matching pension contributions up to 5%
- Life Insurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- Employee Discounts Hub to save money on everyday purchases
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
At part of our team you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
If you're ambitious, inventive, passionate, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to enjoy life at DAZN.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity and where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations and gender identities. If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
We look forward to hearing from you.