What's your new role about?
Want to play a key part in acquiring premium sports rights like the UEFA Champions League, Premier League and Matchroom Boxing?
At DAZN, limitless ambition is our rallying cry, a brave and inventive environment drives us to new achievements and global expansion. As our Head of Legal for Rights, you’ll get to collaborate with our COO and CCO and their teams to bring premium sports content to our subscribers across the world. You’ll use your expertise in acquiring premium sports broadcasting rights, your negotiating brilliance and creativity to navigate and help win tenders and see rights acquisitions through to their completion, laying the groundwork for long term partnerships with rights holders and federations.
As part of our legal executive team, you’ll also collaborate with other senior lawyers to influence the function and shape the company as a whole. Through constantly challenging the status quo you’ll ensure the team; its contracts; and its policies and procedures are fit for purpose and effectively support DAZN’s strategic plan and goals.
HERE’S A BREAKDOWN OF WHAT YOU’LL DO (NOT ALL OF IT, JUST THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF)
- Advising and appropriately influencing DAZN’s Rights team on all legal matters related to DAZN’s global rights strategy to drive DAZN’s future growth, directly reporting to our Chief Legal Officer and partnering closely with our Chief Operating Officer and Chief Commercial Officer
- You’ll be responsible and accountable for the structuring, contracting and negotiation of premium sports broadcasting rights acquisitions and sub-licensing of DAZN’s global broadcast partnerships
- Use your knowledge of sports rights deals, your creativity and your expert negotiation skills to help navigate and help the team win tenders for major sports rights
- As part of our legal executive team, you’ll be shaping the legal function and its policies and procedures and helping influence the company’s future
- You’ll be managing a team of 3 lawyers and collaborating with each element of the Legal function including its central and in-territory lawyers
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- Around 10 years+ of post-qualification experience (PQE), having trained at, and subsequently worked in, a highly successful and recognised commercial team in private practice and/or a strong in-house team in the sports broadcasting sector
- In-depth understanding of the competitive landscape and global sports rights market
- Significant experience of high value acquisition and distribution deals in respect of premium sports rights, especially with licensing in of sports rights
- Excellent technical legal skills, especially first class drafting and interpretive abilities
- Ability to critically analyse and interpret issues in a timely fashion and advise the business how best to take account of them in its operations
- Highly commercial, constructive and creative negotiating and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to create, develop and maintain strong relationships with a wide range of key external and senior internal stakeholders
- Experience of working on matters with a high degree of autonomy and accountability
- Confidence to stand by own decisions and push the right agenda for the business whilst mitigating risks at all times
- An ability to juggle a large workload and rapidly shifting priorities whilst thriving in a competitive and dynamic environment
NOT ESSENTIAL BUT GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Natural curiosity around the sports market and streaming business models
- Experience working overseas or for international companies
- Experience working for a rapid growth, scale up business
- Experience working for sports broadcasters, alternatively for rights distributions companies, major sports clubs or sports federations
- Capacity to work with others from a wide range of professional and non-professional disciplines
- Line manager experience
- Honest, articulate and straightforward with your communication and open to direct feedback
- Additional language skills
- Department: Legal – Rights & Broadcast
- Reports To (title): Chief Legal Officer & General Counsel
- Career Level: 6
- Location: London, Hammersmith
- Hours of Work: 37.5
- Line Management Responsibility: Yes
UK BENEFITS INCLUDE...
- 25 days’ annual leave (increasing by 3 days after 3 years)
- Single cover Aviva Private medical insurance*
- Life Assurance (4x annual salary)
- Matching pension contributions up to 5%
- Travel Loan
- Cycle to Work Scheme and more.
- You’ll also have access to our online learning portal (MindTools) and be part of our Career Deal, which aims to support your continued professional development. We also have a structured management development programme and a financially rewarding ‘Refer a Friend’ scheme.
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. There are no limits to what we can achieve. So if you want to push boundaries and help change the world, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team, everyone has the opportunity to make their mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
Because for us, it's all about Limitless Ambition - never settling, always restless, always wanting more for our customers. We're growing fast and have made a big impact so far, and that's just the beginning. There's so much we can do. Working with us is exciting, empowering and truly global.
If you're ambitious, inventive, passionate, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to succeed at DAZN. Come and join our team.
Who we are and what we do:
* Headquartered in the UK with 2,200 employees located in over 25 countries.
* Home to DAZN – the largest, fastest-growing global sports streaming service live in over 200 countries and territories.
* We guarantee affordable access on most connected devices including smart TVs, set-top boxes, streaming sticks, smartphones, tablets, PCs and game consoles.
* We work across every aspect of the way fans engage with sports; from production, through to content distribution and commercialisation.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity - where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing the best people across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations and gender identities. We actively discourage any photos, personal letters or disclosure of any information that concerns other information than your professional experience.