What's your new role about?
Location: 4 days remote with ideally 1 day per week in either the London, Leeds Amsterdam or Katowice. However we are flexible
DAZN is one of the fastest growing streaming media services (OTT - Over The Top) companies in the world and streams over 40 different sports, from more than 300 different leagues, in over 200 countries. Since we launched in 2016, we have streamed more than 600 million hours of content!
We are looking for a frontend engineer to join our Developer Experience (DX) Team.
The DX Team
The DX team mission is “Empower every developer to build the best products and reach their goals by providing the best tools in a supportive and reactive way”.
DX is the equivalent to UX (User eXperience) when the final user of the software or system is a software engineer. All companies have developer experience, but not all companies have a Developer Experience team.
DX teams are accountable for the success of their engineering counterparts rather than directly for the main product of the business.
The DX team is part of the PLATFORM department (along with SRE, CLOUD and other teams) and is distributed across our dev centers (Amsterdam, Leeds, London and Katowice. At the moment we have DXers in Amsterdam and London office, the position is open for the other offices as well).
We support remote working, the only requirement is to be able to come to one of our offices at least once a week (once the pandemic is over and we would be able to socialize again).
, Golang, AWS, Docker, Terraform, Serverless and it's always evolving.
The team has a range of specialties, and as a frontend engineer you're not expected to know all of these technologies, but you will have a chance to be exposed to them and use them if you're willing to.
What is DX?
A quote from Tom Preston Werner, Github co-founder:
"The only thing that matters to me when it comes to developer experience is this: can I turn what’s in my mind into finished product quickly and easily, or not?"
The goal of DX is to help developers across DAZN move faster and enjoyable in any way possible, for example by making developer tools, processes, documentation easy to use and find.
In Developer eXperience, our work is never "done", because we're always moving to tackle the next big challenge for our developers.
How we work
As a team, we work agile, making sure to have leadership support for direction/organisation, but we empower the team as much as possible to take decisions on roadmaps, architecture, etc. We offer flexible working and we support training and conference attendance. We also encourage blogging and speaking, if that's something you're comfortable with.
What DX is not
There can be lots of conflicting definitions of DX, so it's important for you to know what DX is not.
- Write or release developers' code for them, we enable them to do it themselves
- Own our engineers' pipelines and deployments
- Wholly define standards and/or teams conventions
- Own shared libraries
Some examples of the main activities:
- Build and enhance our CI/CD pipeline, writing tools to provide fast, stable builds across our entire tech stack (e.g. CI user interfaces & automated CI linting)
- Foster an internal open-source mindset across teams on tooling/libs being developed and maintained building tools around it (Dazn Inner Source Technology)
- Taking care of our main command-line tool, the dazn-cli
- Collaborate with other Software Engineers to help them deliver compelling user-facing products
- Share knowledge with other developers across the business
- Constantly seek out opportunities to improve our developer experience
You'll need to have these essentials
- Passionate about automation, efficiency, scalability, and developer tools
- Empathy and desire to improve efficiency of fellow engineers
- The ability to work flexibly, and adapt to the ever-changing needs of our developers
- Ability to effectively communicate technical ideas to others
- Write testable software
- Understanding of all aspects of software delivery (from designing to development, code review, testing, and operations)
- Strong desire to gather feedback and understand the challenges that our users face
- Familiar with working in a cloud native environment
It would be great if you had these desirable skills/experience too
- Experience about User Experience and/or Design
- Experience with AWS and its services
- Knowledge of the other technologies used in PLATFORM and DX (Node.js, Golang, AWS, Docker, Terraform, Serverless)
Here's a little more about us…
With ❤️, DX Team
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. There are no limits to what we can achieve. So if you want to push boundaries and help change the world, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team, everyone has the opportunity to make their mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
Because for us, it's all about Limitless Ambition - never settling, always restless, always wanting more for our customers. We're growing fast and have made a big impact so far, and that's just the beginning. There's so much we can do. Working with us is exciting, empowering and truly global.
If you're ambitious, inventive, passionate, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to succeed at DAZN. Come and join our team.
Who we are and what we do:
* Headquartered in the UK with 2,200 employees located in over 25 countries
* Home to DAZN – the largest, fastest-growing global sports streaming service live in over 200 countries and territories. You can subscribe to our global service at www.dazn.com
* We guarantee affordable access on most connected devices including smart TVs, set-top boxes, streaming sticks, smartphones, tablets, PCs and game consoles
* We work across every aspect of the way fans engage with sports; from production, through to content distribution and commercialisation
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity - where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing the best people across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations and gender identities. We actively discourage any photos, personal letters or disclosure of any information that concerns other information than your professional experience.