What's your new role about?
Do you want to be part of a team which is at the core of engineering a global product that’s used by millions of users daily?
DAZN is one of the fastest growing video streaming companies in the world and stream over 40 different sports, from more than 300 different leagues, in over 200 countries. Since we launched in 2016, we have streamed more than 600 million hours of content!
DAZN Engineering is truly enterprise scale with hundreds of engineers working with some of the latest technologies and sharing ideas and best practices in a dynamic and collaborative environment.
Location: Hammersmith, London, UK with flexibility to work from home and remotely
A BIT ABOUT YOUR TEAM
The Player Engineering domain is one of the most crucial parts of the DAZN stack. We build, own and support the frontend playback experience across customers’ devices at DAZN. We strive to deliver the best possible video experience across all devices (web, set-top boxes, TVs, games consoles, mobiles) regardless of network conditions. To do this we build everything from our own tooling and automation applications to test and evaluate devices to our own complex heuristics to ensure that we deliver the highest quality video streams to customers as often as possible based on their network conditions.
THE WAY WE WORK
We obsess over data and use it to measure how we are performing against our customers’ and the business’ expectations, as well as using it to build our backlog and to inform where we should focus our development efforts. We value agile delivery practices and are continually evolving and reviewing our processes. Delivery teams are typically made up of around 5-8 Engineers, a Product Manager, Scrum Master and a Team Lead. Our teams are from various and diverse backgrounds and we welcome and encourage new perspectives and opinions openly. Whilst we welcome anyone with experience in the streaming or OTT industry, it is by no means a prerequisite to work on this team. Successful engineers are people who love to solve challenging problems and enjoy the opportunity to work on a variety of features and devices.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL DO
You'll be a leader of one of the Player Engineering Teams looking at providing a perfect streaming experience for millions of Sports fans across the world.
Your responsibilities can be broken down to three disciplines: People, Technical, Delivery:
- Maintaining a positive culture
- Create a safe, fail-fast environment
- Tracking the health and wellbeing of the team
- Keeping the team motivated
- Building trust measured by credibility, reliability, intimacy, hosting weekly/fortnightly 1-2-1s
- Career growth for direct reports
- Recruitment and onboarding skilled Engineers
- Building towards self-autonomous teams
- Ensuring your squad has a balanced workload
- Communicating progress to stakeholders
- Defining, tracking, working towards, and meeting KPIs
- Being data driven via Conviva and New Relic Tracking
- Help PMs prioritise the Roadmap
- Providing accurate estimations with the team
- Ensuring tickets are broken down
- Remaining hands-on; coding and picking up small tickets
- Spiking and raising RFCs
- Managing and addressing Tech Debt
- Code reviews
- Architecture and high level Vision
- Cross-Squad/Tribe Communication
- Leading projects from Inception to Delivery
- Help PMs with Refinements from a Technical perspective
- Help with On-Call
- Scaling for the future; high availability
- Implementing new processes
Do You Have These Essentials
- Hands-on experience as a Senior Software Engineering in a TypeScript team
- Testing and CI/CD
- Performance Mindset
- Spike driven mindset
- An empathic, caring nature who listens to the needs of their direct reports
- A want to help people grow
- Track record of successful software deliveries through all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle.
- Excellent interpersonal and language skills to facilitate smooth communication in a multi-national team.
- A flexible, focused, and proactive approach.
Not Essential, But Great If You Have
- Video and OTT Engineering experience
- Experience working with Reactive Programming, ,
- Experience with APM tools
- Project management skills as well as an understanding of business impact for various solutions.
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
If you're ambitious, inventive, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to enjoy life at DAZN.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity and where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations, gender identities and abilities. We are supported by our talented Employee Resource Group communities: proud@DAZN, women@DAZN, disability@DAZN and ParentZONE.
If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
Our aim is to make our hiring processes as accessible for everyone as possible, including providing adjustments for interviews where we can.
We look forward to hearing from you.