What's your new role about?
WHAT’S YOUR NEW ROLE ABOUT?
Associate Legal Counsel is a new role within the DAZN Legal Team, as the DAZN business in Japan continues to expand rapidly and the legal function continues to grow and evolve to support this dynamic and exciting business.
The successful candidate will work under the direction of the Legal Counsel, DAZN Japan, to provide legal support to all parts of the DAZN business in Japan, which will offer them the chance to work on a broad range of matters. The candidate will also occasionally provide Japanese legal advice to other divisions within the DAZN Group, such as Media and Content (the division responsible for the collection, production, and distribution of data, editorial and video content for sports competitions).
The role represents a fantastic opportunity for a media, IP and/or commercial lawyer to move into one of the most exciting businesses in the sports industry. Also, as DAZN continues to expand, it offers the candidate the chance to build their profile across the business and develop the role.
HERE’S YOUR ROLE BROKEN DOWN
- DAZN’s legal function has responsibility for providing support to all aspects of the DAZN business, which includes commercial, contentious, intellectual property, regulatory and property matters across various jurisdictions (with assistance from outside counsel, where necessary).
- The successful candidate will focus on matters relating to DAZN’s Japanese business and can expect to undertake a wide and exciting variety of work, including:
- l Negotiation of major sports rights deals, high value contracts with technology service providers, and partnership and distribution agreements with important partners in Japan
- l Taking a lead on the legal support for important projects for the Japanese business
- l Providing legal support to the business in relation to relevant laws and regulations, including privacy law and competition law to ensuring product compliance
- l Managing and updating legal templates for local use, as well as support the development of routine legal awareness and training activities for the Japan business
- l Provision of Japanese legal support to other divisions within the DAZN Group on an ad hoc basis
- Whilst you will not typically get deeply involved with non-commercial legal matters, you will be expected to take responsibility for items which are outside of the normal scope of your remit from time to time.
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- The dynamic, innovative and fast-paced nature of DAZN’s business requires that DAZN’s lawyers not only possess excellent technical skills but are also commercially astute, highly responsive and driven to fulfill the strategic objectives of the business. Although DAZN is always willing to consider a wide range of candidates for its roles, as a guide the successful candidate is likely to have the following experience level and skills:
- Around 3 – 5 years of post-qualification experience, qualified in either Japan or another jurisdiction (although aptitude, personality and culture-fit will be given significantly greater weight in assessment)
- Trained at and subsequently worked in a highly successful and recognized commercial team either in private practice, or a strong in-house team in the media sector
- An excellent ability to write and speak in Japanese and English (and the ability to review legal documents in both languages will be highly valued)
- Clear, concise communication skills
- Experience of copyright licensing, whether relating to the acquisition and/or distribution of content
- Experience with a wide range of commercial and/or technology services contracts
- Excellent technical legal skills, especially first-class drafting and interpretative abilities
- Ability to conduct research and draft reports related to Japanese law
- Highly commercial and constructive negotiating and problem-solving abilities
- Experience of working on matters with a high degree of autonomy
- An ability to juggle a large workload and rapidly shifting priorities
- A well-rounded personality with the capacity to work effectively with others from a wide range of professional and non-professional disciplines
- An ability to create, develop and maintain strong relationships with both senior management and with legal and commercial contacts from DAZN Japan and the wider DAZN group
- A willingness to operate out of his or her comfort zone and a willingness to play a proactive role in developing DAZN’s legal function
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. There are no limits to what we can achieve. So if you want to push boundaries and change the world, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
Because for us, it's all about Limitless Ambition - never settling, always restless, always wanting more for our customers. We're growing fast and have made a big impact so far, and that's just the beginning. There's so much we can do. Working with us is exciting, empowering and truly global.
If you're ambitious, inventive, passionate, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to succeed at DAZN. Come and join our team.
Who we are and what we do:
- Headquartered in the UK
- 2,800 employees in over 24 countries
- Home to DAZN – the largest, fastest-growing global sports streaming service live in Austria, Brazil, Canada, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the United States
- In 2020, we will dramatically increase our presence, expanding to more than 200 countries and territories.
- Guarantee affordable access on all devices including TVs, smartphones, tablets, games consoles and PCs
- Work across every aspect from broadcast planning & production through to content distribution and commercialisation
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality, diversity and where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing the best people across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations and gender identities.