What's your new role about?
The Player Engineering domain is one of the most crucial parts of the DAZN stack. We build, own and support the frontend playback experience across customers’ devices at DAZN. We strive to deliver the best possible video experience across all devices (web, set-top boxes, TVs, games consoles, mobiles) regardless of network conditions. To do this we build everything from our own tooling and automation applications to test and evaluate devices to our own complex heuristics to ensure that we deliver the highest quality video streams to customers as often as possible based on their network conditions.
The way we work:
We obsess over data and use it to measure how we are performing against our customers’ and the business’ expectations, as well as using it to build our backlog and to inform where we should focus our development efforts. We value agile delivery practices and are continually evolving and reviewing our processes. Delivery teams are typically made up of around 5-8 Engineers, a Team Lead, and a Product Manager. Our teams are from various and diverse backgrounds and we welcome and encourage new perspectives and opinions openly. Whilst we welcome anyone with experience in the streaming or OTT industry, it is by no means a prerequisite to work on this team. Successful engineers are people who love to solve challenging problems and enjoy the opportunity to work on a variety of features and devices.
As our new Software Engineer within Player Engineering, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Join one of the Player Engineering Teams looking at providing a perfect streaming experience for millions of sports fans across the world. Your responsibilities will include innovating, developing and maintaining:
- Supporting our own custom built video player on web, connected TVs, set top boxes and games consoles
- Supporting native players on connected TVs, set top boxes and games consoles
- Low level adaptive bitrate (ABR) optimisation and features to ensure a smooth playback experience for all customers
- Observability, monitoring and supporting our production systems and customer satisfaction across our key playback KPIs
- Having a data-driven approach and A/B testing.
- The player UI, customer interaction, and working with our design teams
- Creating bespoke tools and testing frameworks
- Optimising the test and release process in our goal to Continuous Deployment
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- Spike Driven Development Mindset (curious, inquisitive, and persistent)
- Performance Mindset
- Previous experience in video playback and OTT (Streaming Protocols: DASH, HLS, MSS. DRM) on web or connected devices.
- Experience on Smart TVs (eg Samsung Tizen, LG WebOS, Panasonic), set-top boxes (eg SkyQ, MoviStar) and game consoles (eg Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox)
- Used the MSE/EME API
Even better if you have:
- Reactive Programming (We use RxJs)
- Working on MSE/EME players (eg Shaka) and native players (eg AVPlay, HasPlayer)
- Testing, CI/CD
- APM tools (We use Conviva, New Relic) (Other examples: App Dynamics, Splunk, etc.)
- Experience maintaining JS libraries
- AdTech (Dynamic Ad Insertion, Pre-rolls, VAST)
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So, if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team,you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
DAZN VALUES – THE ‘HOW’ IN WHAT WE DO:
AMBITIOUS – people who want to make a big impact and drive DAZN forward. People who move fast and make success happen.
INVENTIVE – people with bright ideas who deliver great new experiences for our customers – and improvements for our business. People who come up with better, simpler ways of doing things.
PASSIONATE – people who are proud of our product, out content and our business – and love to shout about it. People who love what they do and show commitment every day.
BRAVE – people who take difficult decisions to help us focus on improving DAZN, our performance and our results. People who will take on challenges no matter what is in front of them.
SUPPORTIVE – people who know that we achieve more as a team than as individuals. People value inclusion and look out for each other, helping their colleagues enjoy their work and develop their careers. People who consider others before making decisions.
At DAZN, we are committed to fostering an inclusive environment that values equality and diversity, where everyone can contribute and have their voices heard. This means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations, gender identities and abilities.
Everyone has the opportunity to make change and impact our DEI journey by joining our ERGs: Proud@DAZN, Women@DAZN, Disability@DAZN and ParentZone.
If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
Our aim is to make our hiring processes as accessible for everyone as possible, including providing adjustments for interviews where we can.
We look forward to hearing from you.