What's your new role about?
Do you want to combine your passion for sports with your working life? How does a Legal Rights team for one of the fastest growing sports media companies in the world sound? We at DAZN are the home to premium sports rights such as La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, UEFA Champions League & Matchroom Boxing and you can play a vital role in maintaining and extending our portfolio.
DAZN is a leading global sports media destination and a domestic football rightsholder in Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan. Underpinning the DAZN platform and the DAZN business is its content. As Legal Counsel (Rights & Broadcast) you will play an integral role in DAZN’s acquisition of premium sports content throughout the world with an opportunity to deal with a broad spectrum of sporting rights holders. As such, you will be integral to, and help shape, how DAZN continues to grow and achieve its aim to become the premium platform for sports entertainment in the world.
You will be vital part of a small team of lawyers reporting to the SVP, Head of Legal (Rights & Broadcast) and more generally part of a collegiate, international, diverse legal department that supports the DAZN business as a whole. As 1 of 4 lawyers in the Rights & Broadcast team, you will quickly become an essential part of supporting the Rights team and acquiring premium sporting rights for the DAZN platform around the world. As such, it represents a fantastic opportunity for a TMT or commercial lawyer to move into the sports media industry or a sports media lawyer to enhance their experience and responsibility quickly.
This role is based in Hammersmith.
Benefits include access to DAZN, 25 days’ annual leave (increasing by 3 days after 3 years), annual performance-related bonus, private medical insurance, life assurance, pension contributions up to 5%, family friendly community, free access for you and one other to our workplace mental health platform app (Unmind), learning and development resources, opportunity for flexible working, and access to our internal speaker series and events
As our new Legal Counsel (Rights & Broadcast), you’ll have the opportunity to:
- You will draft and negotiate core sports rights acquisition and licensing agreements.
- You will assist in rights tender reviews and the preparation of bids for media rights of premium sports properties.
- You will provide legal support for business stakeholders on a range of matters relating to strategic rights partnerships and the broader global media rights strategy.
- You will work closely with other members of the DAZN legal team across various specialisms to assist in wider DAZN projects (e.g. corporate, technology, new markets, IP).
- You will work with and manage external legal counsel as required.
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- Around 2-4 years of PQE, having trained at and subsequently worked in a successful and recognised commercial/media/sports team either in private practice, or a strong in-house team (although this is only a guide, and significant weight will be given to the factors below)
- Excellent technical legal skills, especially first-class drafting, commercial negotiating and problem-solving abilities
- Enthusiasm for sport and a willingness and passion to learn about the sports rights market
- Experience of working on matters with a moderate to high degree of autonomy
- A well-rounded personality with the capacity to create, develop and maintain strong relationships and work effectively with others from a wide range of professional and non-professional disciplines
- A willingness to operate out of your comfort zone and the motivation to play a proactive role in developing DAZN's legal function
Even better if you have:
- Previous legal experience in relation to sports rights acquisition and distribution, OTT platforms & players, broadcasting and the TMT sector more generally.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the sports rights industry and the competitive landscape for DAZN.
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
If you're ambitious, inventive, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to enjoy life at DAZN.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity and where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations, gender identities and abilities. We are supported by our talented Employee Resource Group communities: proud@DAZN, women@DAZN, disability@DAZN and ParentZONE.
If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
Our aim is to make our hiring processes as accessible for everyone as possible, including providing adjustments for interviews where we can.
We look forward to hearing from you.