What's your new role about?
Legal Counsel – Technology and Operations sits within DAZN Legal Team, supporting the rapidly evolving technology, operational and commercial legal needs of an ever-adapting and exciting sports media business.
DAZN’s expansion into new sporting events as well as new geographic territories are all underpinned by its reliance on technology. This in turn places a continued need on its legal function to grow to support the constantly evolving tech and ops requirements of this dynamic and exciting business.
You’ll get the opportunity to work on a variety of technology-focused and broader commercial legal matters. Alongside your legal colleagues, you’ll be managing and negotiating strategic third-party supplier licence and services agreements primarily relating to the DAZN’s technology and operations departments. This is a fantastic opportunity for a TMT or commercial lawyer to move into the sports media industry.
Benefits include 25 days’ annual leave (increasing by 3 days after 3 years), private medical insurance, life assurance, pension contributions up to 5%, access to learning portals, training and development and more.
HERE’S A BREAKDOWN OF WHAT YOU’LL DO (NOT ALL OF IT, JUST THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF)
- You will draft and negotiate core technology agreements – including contracts relating to applications, software licensing, network infrastructure and connectivity, platforms and enterprise systems.
- You will provide legal support for business stakeholders relating to operations and strategic business systems.
- You will work closely with other members of the DAZN legal team across various specialisms to assist with tech involvement in wider DAZN projects (e.g. corporate, rights and broadcast, new markets, IP)
- You will assist and advise on procurement strategies and business process outsourcing.
- You will advise the business in relation to DAZN policy development including the use of open source software and information security best practices.
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- Around 2-4 years of PQE, having trained at and subsequently worked in a highly successful and recognised technology/commercial team either in private practice, or a strong in-house team
- Experience of a wide range of commercial contracts and arrangements particularly including software licensing and technology services agreement, with good level of direct contact with clients
- Excellent technical legal skills, especially first-class drafting and interpretative abilities
- Highly commercial and constructive negotiating and problem-solving abilities
- Experience of working on matters with a moderate to high degree of autonomy
- An ability to juggle a large workload and rapidly shifting priorities
- A well-rounded personality with the capacity to work effectively with others from a wide range of professional and non-professional disciplines
- An ability to create, develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders
- A willingness to operate out of your comfort zone and the motivation to play a proactive role in developing DAZN's legal function
NOT ESSENTIAL BUT GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Previous legal experience in relation to content delivery network services, OTT platforms & players, video broadcasting production, video distribution and content acquisition.
- Working knowledge of the General Data Protection Regulation, Data Protection Act 2018 and the E-Privacy Regulation, and experience of managing compliance with the same, such as identifying data privacy risks, understanding data privacy impact assessments and implementing compliance procedures.
- Department: Legal - Commercial
- Reports To (title): Head of Legal – Technology and Operations
- Career Level: CL4
- Country and Location: UK – Hammersmith
- Hours of Work: 40
- Line Management Responsibility: No
UK BENEFITS INCLUDE...
- 25 days’ annual leave (increasing by 3 days after 3 years)
- Single cover Aviva Private medical insurance
- Life Assurance (4x annual salary)
- Matching pension contributions up to 5%
- Travel Loan
- Cycle to Work Scheme and more*.
- You’ll also have access to our online learning portal (MindTools) and be part of our Career Deal, which aims to support your continued professional development. We also have a structured management development programme and a financially rewarding ‘Refer a Friend’ scheme.
*Please Note - some of these benefits will be available to you upon successful completion of your probation.
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
At part of our team you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
If you're ambitious, inventive, passionate, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to enjoy life at DAZN.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity and where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations and gender identities. If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
We look forward to hearing from you.