What's your new role about?
Disrupting an industry isn’t easy.
In 2016 DAZN launched its direct-to-consumer app bringing live sport directly to customers through a simple, intuitive, easy to use app and a low monthly price. Now DAZN are playing more hours of live sports than any other company world-wide plus we have gone global broadcasting in 200 new countries!
Now it’s time to push new boundaries. DAZN believes there is a significant opportunity to offer commercial venues a new proposition with more sports, more choice and better access then ever before. DAZN is therefore seeking a customer and technology-focused Incident Commander to join the Commercial Premises Live Operations team.
You’ll need to appreciate what it takes to deliver seamless live streaming of major sporting events in several countries, 24/7, in a dynamic, evolving ‘live’ environment, adapting at pace to changing business needs. Additionally, you will be passionate about OTT related technology, managing technical incidents and driving improvement in performance (eg playback performance) to ensure our customers enjoy the best streaming experience.
As the Incident Commander (IC) not only will you be the key decision-maker and authority to direct the fastest restoration to any service following incidents…or degradation to quality (eg in playback metrics, you will be a cornerstone in driving the agenda to prevent these arising. You will need to be tech savvy in OTT technologies and monitoring, have great communication skills and lead from the front. Although we need exceptional live and on demand streaming, incident prevention also covers Sign Up, Sign In, Payments, My Account, Pause and Cease – operations than impact our revenues directly. The position is full time and based in our Leeds office
You will use your leadership to make a real difference, ensure our incident management is on brand, customer-centric and appropriate to an industry leading, live sports service. Our Operations must be ahead of the game and you will help drive excellence, proactivity and incredibly responsive capabilities. So you’ll need to have a finger on the customer pulse and possess clear, innovative and customer-focused thinking, and therefore inspire confidence in our leadership, stakeholders and customers.
The role will work very closely with the 24 x 7 DAZN Support Centre which undertakes platform monitoring, routine incident communication and incident logging for our dedicated Commercial Premises platform (supported by10 key vendors that provide support across sign up, sign in, billing, My Account and playback and our set top boxes). For major or critical incident, you’ll ensure the right technical resources are activated, lead major Incident calls, determine the precise customer impact, agree resolution actions with all teams including vendors, to facilitate return to service. You’ll need to maintain a calm composure with the ability to command and direct with authority in a Technical crisis.
As the role interfaces directly to our vendors, you’ll need to be hands-on, have a broad technical understanding across OTT broadcast and playback technologies (and if possible ecommerse, account, subscription and billing systems). You’ll need to be familiar with monitoring technologies such as New Relic, Conviva, Splunk; and be savvy with AWS Cloud platforms, using ECS, Lambda and applications written in varied languages like node js, Java, and PHP.
Ensuring that our DAZN Commercial Premises Platform and Product is available 24x7x365 to our customers through fantastic playback performance, service availability and platform stability is critical – we need to set the bar high through well thought-through KPIs and targets and be a key part of their delivery.
For incidents, as the lynchpin between Live Ops, Customer Services and other business functions (eg Product, PR, Marketing, Commercial, Legal who the comms go to) and our customers, you’ll have excellent communication skills and attention to detail to ensure we extract and communicate pertinent information, escalate and report on time, clearly to all stakeholders across our business. You will be a key influence in our commercial premise incident process design.
This is a fast-paced high-tech environment and will require being on call periodically
HERE’S A BREAKDOWN OF WHAT YOU’LL DO (NOT ALL OF IT, JUST THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF)
- Be the point of escalation for the team for major events depending on live event calendar.
- Ensure all incidents are managed, owned, escalated, resolved, communicated and reported on, to SLAs. Technically lead all aspects of critical incidents
- Maintain ongoing communication of incident updates to internal stakeholders and customers
- Ensure incidents are logged accurately, triaged and timely passed to vendors
- Ensure clear, concise and lightening quick incident communication is triggered to internal and external stakeholders
- Help ensure appropriate changes (eg Technical, Marketing, Product) do not adversely impact the customer experience
- Evolve monitoring/logging systems. Help deliver best in class tools, alerting and monitoring
- Help establish appropriate KPIs and targets to drive improvement to the customer experience
- Drive improvement through identifying and delivering improvements to drive best in class incident management through the product roadmap or other projects
- Responsible for the quality and integrity of Major Incident Management process and be the interface with Service Delivery Managers, Support teams and vendors.
- Automate support processes to ensure that incidents are detected, escalated as quickly as possible to right engineering teams to reduce MTTA and MTTR
- Build strong internal and external relationships with operational and technical teams and third parties
- Provide recommendations on troubleshooting / run books and other technology improvements to quickly resolve incidents / ensure infrastructure and application stability
- Perform Post Incident Reviews / Post Mortems
- Ensure we meet resolution SLAs
- Identify and help resolve failure points driving unavailability, poor performance or slow mean-time-to-repair including architectures, design, process improvements, software disciplines, testing
- Build strong internal and external relationships with vendors
- Customer Advocate - focus on what is deemed to be the best outcome for the customer
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- Demonstrated strategic and tactical thinking, quantitative and analytical skills, while under pressure
- Experience of Managing of Major Incidents, providing leadership to resolution and clear communications throughout
- Working knowledge of ITIL incident, problem, and change management components.
- Demonstrated broadcast experience and understanding of broadcast systems/technologies;
- The ability to co-ordinate technical, incident and supplier side teams to ensure that all incidents are accurately prioritised and effectively managed
- Extensive experience of managing major incidents especially those that have a significant cross service impact, including how to influence technical teams not under your direct control
- Experience to identify early indications of major incidents not progressing well and the skill to engage the right teams to get them on track
- Excellent problem resolution, judgment, negotiation, and decision-making skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; with a special focus on customer/client level interaction
- Possess exceptional communication skills to ensure our incident communications are clear and timely to our executives
- Ability to determine precise customer impacts on our incidents through analysis of CS, social, error codes, playback failures etc
- Exceptional OTT monitoring expertise: to include Conviva, New Relic, ServiceNow.
- As well as Live and VoD, possess strong capabilities in operational monitoring and performance assessment covering Sign Up, Sign In, Payments, My Account, Pause and Cease
- Hands on experience in working with monitoring and logging tools like ELK or Check or Nagios or Pager Duty or Datadog or New Relic or convivia or similar
- Knowledge of KPIs that indicate performance and customer experience (eg re-buffering, video playback failures, video-start failures, capacity monitoring)
- Strong knowledge of OTT, devices, browsers, living room, mobile, web, CDNs, Platforms, E2E Architecture, Applications
- Confidence to make critical business decisions in near-real-time to recover service and lead the resolution teams
- Attention to Detail - communications, Service Now records.
- Ownership & leadership to work cross department.
- Operations experience in a 24x7x365 support model
- Practical experience with incident/outage and crisis management
- Ability to balance competing demands for resources and adapt to changing priorities
- Working knowledge of physical IT infrastructures such as Enterprise Server Platforms and related IT architectures and equipment
- Knowledge and exposure with distributed systems across hyper-scale, AWS Cloud-based environments like Lambda, ECS
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. There are no limits to what we can achieve. So if you want to push boundaries and help change the world, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team, everyone has the opportunity to make their mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
Because for us, it's all about Limitless Ambition - never settling, always restless, always wanting more for our customers. We're growing fast and have made a big impact so far, and that's just the beginning. There's so much we can do. Working with us is exciting, empowering and truly global.
If you're ambitious, inventive, passionate, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to succeed at DAZN. Come and join our team.
Who we are and what we do:
* Headquartered in the UK with 2,200 employees located in over 25 countries
* Home to DAZN – the largest, fastest-growing global sports streaming service live in over 200 countries and territories. You can subscribe to our global service at www.dazn.com
* We guarantee affordable access on most connected devices including smart TVs, set-top boxes, streaming sticks, smartphones, tablets, PCs and game consoles
* We work across every aspect of the way fans engage with sports; from production, through to content distribution and commercialisation
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity - where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing the best people across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations and gender identities. We actively discourage any photos, personal letters or disclosure of any information that concerns other information than your professional experience.