What's your new role about?
At DAZN, we have loads of data. We’re the world’s biggest sports OTT platform, and we have millions of sports fans in over 200 countries. Under the hood, we have a world-class Data & Decision Science team conducting cutting-edge research, building machine learning models and powering data-driven decisions throughout the company. You’ll collaborate across the business with stakeholders working in engineering, product, revenue and strategy, amongst others.
You’ll use advanced statistical and machine learning techniques as you build AI solutions to solve business problems and create commercial opportunities. You will be positioned right at the forefront of data science, developing, applying and productionising state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms (supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning), machine learning explainability techniques (Shap) and advanced statistics (Bayesian modelling, Markov processes, time series modelling).
In DAZN we have a multitude of data teams tackling various challenges in the data world, allowing each team to focus on what they do best:
1. Data Engineering gets data into our lake or models modelled datasets
2. Reporting, BI and analytics create business modelled datasets and analyse the data to generate insights
3. Experimentation deals with A/B testing and how do we learn from our actions in the past and the future
4. Data Science, which you would be part of, work cross functionally to embed and automate data science driven decision making across DAZN. We do this through research, developing modern data science and statistical models, and building them into full data products.
5. Applied machine learning work closely with our Product and Technology teams to deploy machine learning products and systems at scale.
We are an international team of data scientists from a broad range of backgrounds. We deliver personalisation across our platform and customer communications, enable automated strategic decision making to be conducted at scale, and dive into the dynamics and relationships which drive customer demand.
You’ll have the opportunity to support a breadth of data science projects, using cutting-edge tools and techniques to best use DAZN’s vast data sets. Get in touch if you want to perform industrial-scale data science and put data at the heart of everything we do!
This role can be based in London, Leeds, Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, Katowice, Milan or Madrid.
Benefits will depend on your location but will include access to DAZN, an annual performance related bonus, family friendly community, free access for you and one other to our workplace mental health platform app (Unmind), learning and development resources, opportunity for flexible working, and access to our internal speaker series and events.
As our new Data Scientist you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Collaborate with a large team of data scientists as well as stakeholders throughout the business to answer questions like:
- Can we accurately forecast the impact strategic changes will have on the size and composition of future subscribers?
- Can we create an AI scheduler which tells us which matchups should be promoted in which parts of the world?
- What content should we recommend to our customers?
- How can we get customers to continue using the platform when their favourite team isn’t playing?
- How accurately can we predict how many viewers are going to watch a specific football match?
- Can we tease apart different types of sports fans?
- How do we identify customers that we think are likely to churn?
- How important is stream quality in the satisfaction of our users?
- Contribute to the entire data science life cycle from exploratory data analysis, to applying advanced statistical and machine learning techniques, creating model pipelines, deploying models and building data products
- Get hands-on data science experience using a range of approaches: supervised, unsupervised, and reinforcement learning, advanced statistics, model creation, deployment and monitoring.
- Develop and apply state-of-the-art algorithms in fields like reinforcement learning.
- Learn the whole data science tech-stack, from exploration and scripting with Python and SQL, to using big data solutions like Snowflake and Spark, to productionizing high-performance APIs in the AWS cloud.
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- A good scientific and intuitive understanding about statistics and data
- Good level of proficiency in Python and/or R and SQL and examples of using those effectively in projects
- Proficiency in common data science and machine learning packages (pandas, numpy, sklearn, imblearn, statsmodels, PyMC, keras, TensorFlow, Shap)
- Experience wrangling and analysing large datasets
- An enthusiastic approach to problem solving, excited about getting stuck into new tasks that will require creative solutions
- A good communicator, able to explain technical subject matter to non-technical subject matter experts
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to forge fruitful partnerships within the data science teams and the business as a whole
Even better if you have:
- A passion for the world of sports
- Good knowledge of software engineering principles
- Experience using standard supervised model packages (such as glmnet, xgboost, catboost)
- Experience building reinforcement learning models
- Experience deploying data science and machine learning models into production (code optimisation, unit testing, automated job scheduling, model drift detection)
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
If you're ambitious, inventive, passionate, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to enjoy life at DAZN.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity and where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations and gender identities. If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
We look forward to hearing from you.