What's your new role about?
DAZN is one of the fastest growing streaming media services (OTT - Over The Top) companies in the world and streams over 40 different sports, from more than 300 different leagues, in over 200 countries. Since we launched in 2016, we have streamed more than 600 million hours of content!
Do you want the creative freedom to make the product something you’re proud to show others? The engineering teams are given the autonomy over the software built and provided and the power to select the right tool for the job to build a modern, scalable and resilient platform.
Is your current job allowing you to become better at your craft or just lengthening your years in the industry?
Whether it's learning to speak at events, cross-training across the stack, learning to develop tools for other teams or gaining knowledge and ideas from some of the great minds we have here – you’ll always be getting better at DAZN and we are looking for a Backend Team Lead to join our Capybaras Team.
Capybaras made up of around 8-10 Engineers (sub-divided into smaller work streams for productivity), a Product Manager, Scrum Master and an Engineering manager.
Our team are a group from various and diverse backgrounds, we don’t have any hierarchy within the team as everyone brings something different and has different experiences and knowledge.
Capybaras is one of the key responsible for the Sports Data product theme, that aims to enrich the experience of watching a live event by using external data sources, machine learning and (a lot of) creativity.
We support flexible working, this role can Hybrid working and be based in Hammersmith.
Benefits include access to DAZN, 25 days’ annual leave (increasing by 3 days after 3 years), annual performance-related bonus, private medical insurance, life assurance, pension contributions up to 5%, family friendly community, free access for you and one other to our workplace mental health platform app (Unmind), learning and development resources, opportunity for flexible working, and access to our internal speaker series and events.
As our new Backend Team Lead Engineer, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Continually improve software deployment to ensure iterative releases and rapid deployment of updates
- Build and maintain scalable microservices
- Collaborate with other Backend and Frontend Software Engineers to help deliver compelling user-facing products
- Share knowledge with other developers across the business
- Deliver maintainable, robust, and testable code
- Constantly seek out opportunities to improve
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- Previous leading experience in your team
- Enjoy helping other to learn through pairing and coaching
- Experience in building microservices in AWS
- Experience with Node.js (or backend ready typed language)
- Understanding of all aspects of software delivery (from designing to development, code review, testing, and operations)
- CI / CD and testing approaches such as TDD
- Ability to effectively communicate technical ideas to others
- Pragmatic application of design patterns
- A passion for creating great user experiences
- Track record of successful software delivery through all phases of development, code reviews, testing, and operations
Even better if you have:
- Experience with other cloud platforms (e.g. Azure, Google Cloud Platform etc.)
- Experience with infrastructure and deployment automation
- Familiar with or exposed to Typescript
- Experience in supporting or being on-call for services
Here's a little more about us…
At DAZN, we bring ambition to life. We are innovators, game-changers and pioneers. So if you want to push boundaries and make an impact, DAZN is the place to be.
As part of our team you'll have the opportunity to make your mark and the power to make change happen. We're doing things no-one has done before, giving fans and customers access to sport anytime, anywhere. We're using world-class technology to transform sports and revolutionise the industry and we're not going to stop.
If you're ambitious, inventive, brave and supportive, then you're the kind of person who's going to enjoy life at DAZN.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment, both inside and outside of our walls, that values equality and diversity and where everyone can contribute at the highest level and have their voices heard. For us, this means hiring and developing talent across all races, ethnicities, religions, age groups, sexual orientations, gender identities and abilities. We are supported by our talented Employee Resource Group communities: proud@DAZN, women@DAZN, disability@DAZN and ParentZONE.
If you’d like to include a cover letter with your application, please feel free to. Please do not feel you need to apply with a photo or disclose any other information that is not related to your professional experience.
Our aim is to make our hiring processes as accessible for everyone as possible, including providing adjustments for interviews where we can.
We look forward to hearing from you.